Roast veal with pistachio and Grappa
1/2 cup aged Grappa
35 oz (approx.) veal roast
1.8 oz pistachios
1 slice of thick lard
4 tbsp oil
2 white onions
1 bunch of herbs (laurel, rosemary, sage)
2 cups vegetable broth
Salt (to taste)
- Cut half the slice of lard into cubes. Use a pointed knife to make holes over the entire surface of the veal. Insert a cube of lard and 2 or 3 pistachios inside each hole.
- Pull the roast tight with a string, making sure to close the holes so that the filling does not escape.
- Place a pot that is also suitable for baking in the oven over heat and lightly fry the remaining lard and chopped onions and carrots with 4 tablespoons of oil. Allow them to brown until reaching the sizzling point and then add the meat. Brown the meat on all sides, add 1/2 cup of Grappa and allow it to reduce.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add 1/2 cup of Grappa, 2 cups of broth, the bunch of herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with a lid suitable for baking, or with aluminium foil and cook in the oven for 50 minutes (checking every so often that the veal roast does not become too dry; if necessary, add a little hot broth).
- Once cooked, slice the roast, pour the cooking sauce over the meat and serve with vegetables of your choice.