For the base
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp cold water
3/4 cup softened butter
For the filling
1 tbsp of Grappa
35 oz blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbsp corn starch
For the topping
Melted butter (to taste)
Brown sugar (to taste)
- Prepare the dough by mixing the flour, salt and sugar, then add the softened butter cut into cubes and kneaded. Add the water and continue kneading to obtain a fairly homogeneous paste.
- Divide the dough into two buns, wrap them in a transparent film, and leave them in the fridge for at least 1 hour. In the meantime, prepare the filling: wash the blueberries, place them in a non-stick casserole dish and reduce part of their liquid over a low heat.
- Mix the sugar, Grappa and starch. Pour the mixture onto the blueberries in the casserole dish and mix well. Continuing to stir, cook over a low heat to significantly reduce the juice.
- Leave the blueberries to cool and preheat the oven to 356° F. Take the two buns and roll them out into two discs until obtaining a diameter of about 22 and 24 cm. Place the bigger, thinner disc on the bottom of the baking tin, taking care to cover the edges.
- Fill the base with the blueberries and place the second disc in such a way that the edges match, sealing them well with the prongs of a fork or with your hands.
- Make holes on the surface of the pie to allow steam to escape (this way the pie will be crispy on top) and sprinkle with the brown sugar and a little-melted butter. Bake in the oven for at least 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool completely and serve.